Na Phra Lan Rd, Phra Borom Maha Ratchawang, Phra Nakhon, Bangkok, Thailand
The Grand Palace (Thai: พระบรมมหาราชวัง, RTGS: Phra Borom Maha Ratcha Wang) is a complex of buildings at the heart of Bangkok, Thailand. The palace has been the official residence of the Kings of Siam (and later Thailand) since 1782. The king, his court, and his royal government were based on the grounds of the palace until 1925. King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX), resided at the Chitralada Royal Villa and his successor King Vajiralongkorn (Rama X) at the Amphorn Sathan Residential Hall, both in the Dusit Palace, but the Grand Palace is still used for official events. Several royal ceremonies and state functions are held within the walls of the palace every year. The palace is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Thailand, with over 8 million people visiting each year.
Na Phra Lan Rd, Phra Borom Maha Ratchawang, Phra Nakhon, Bangkok, Thailand
The Emerald Buddha
The Emerald Buddha (Thai: พระแก้วมรกต Phra Kaeo Morakot, or พระพุทธมหามณีรัตนปฏิมากร Phra Phuttha Maha Mani Rattana Patimakon) is an image of the meditating Gautama Buddha seated in a meditative posture, made of a semi-precious green stone (jasper rather than emerald or jade), clothed in gold. and about 66 centimeters (26 inch) tall. The image is considered the sacred palladium of Thailand. It is housed in the Temple of the Emerald Buddha (Wat Phra Kaew) on the grounds of the Grand Palace in Bangkok.
The Emerald Buddha is the most important Buddha image in Thailand. It is adorned with three different sets of gold seasonal costume; two were made by Rama I, one for the summer and one for the rainy season, and a third made by Rama III for the winter or cool season. The clothes are changed by the King of Thailand in a ceremony at the changing of the seasons – on the 1st Waning of lunar months 4, 8 and 12 (around March, August, and November). On these days, the Emerald Buddha chapel is closed all day, though the temple grounds remain open for visitors. The Grand Palace closes at noon.
- Changing Winter to Summer: 9th March 2020 (แรม ๑ ค่ำ เดือนสี่)
- Changing Summer to Rainy: 6th July 2020 (แรม ๑ ค่ำ เดือนแปด)
- Changing Rainy to Winter: 1st November 2020 (แรม ๑ ค่ำ เดือนสิบสอง)
For the three seasons, the three set of costumes for the Emerald Buddha:
- Hot/summer season (left) – a stepped, pointed headpiece; a breast pendant; a sash; several armlets, bracelets, and other items of royal attire. All items are made of enameled gold and embedded with precious and semi-precious stones.
- Rainy season (middle) – a pointed headpiece of enameled gold studded with sapphires; a gold-embossed monk’s robe draped over one shoulder.
- Cool/winter season (right) – a gold headpiece studded with diamonds; a jewel-fringed gold-mesh shawl draped over the rainy season attire.
The sets of gold clothing not in use are kept on display in the nearby Pavilion of Regalia, Royal Decorations and Thai Coins on the grounds of the Grand Palace, where the public may view them.
Chetuphon Road, Phra Borom Maha Ratchawang, Phra Nakhon, Bangkok, Thailand
Wat Pho (Thai: วัดโพธิ์), also spelled Wat Po, is a Buddhist temple complex in the Phra Nakhon District, Bangkok, Thailand. It is on Rattanakosin Island, directly south of the Grand Palace. Known also as the Temple of the Reclining Buddha, its official name is Wat Phra Chetuphon Wimon Mangkhalaram Rajwaramahawihan (Thai: วัดพระเชตุพนวิมลมังคลารามราชวรมหาวิหาร) The more commonly known name, Wat Pho, is a contraction of its older name, Wat Photaram (Thai: วัดโพธาราม; RTGS: Wat Photharam)
The temple is first on the list of six temples in Thailand classed as the highest grade of the first-class royal temples. It is associated with King Rama I who rebuilt the temple complex on an earlier temple site. It became his main temple and is where some of his ashes are enshrined. The temple was later expanded and extensively renovated by Rama III. The temple complex houses the largest collection of Buddha images in Thailand, including a 46 mlong reclining Buddha. The temple is considered the earliest centre for public education in Thailand, and the marble illustrations and inscriptions placed in the temple for public instructions has been recognized by UNESCO in its Memory of the World Programmed. It houses a school of Thai medicine, and is also known as the birthplace of traditional Thai massage which is still taught and practiced at the temple.
Tha Tian Pier ท่าเรือท่าเตียน Thai Wang Road, Phra Borom Maha Ratchawang, Phra Nakhon, Bangkok, Thailand
Tha Tien Pier
ThaTien Pier is a very beautiful place that helps you get to two of the most important tourist attraction in Bangkok namely Wat Pho temple and Wat Arun. If you want to view the Royal Past of Bangkok, this is a great starting point. ThaTien is famous for the fish market where you get the well-known dried fish. This market is exactly behind the Grand Palace located in Wat Phra Chetuphon i.e. Wat Pho. ThaTien Pier is regarded as one of the older business areas of Bangkok. Today you will even find salted fish, marine products and so on; on sale in the market. This market also serves as a pier for all the ferries to reach Wat Arun by crossing Chao Praya River.
Wat Arun, Thanon Wang Doem, Wat Arun, Bangkok Yai, Bangkok, Thailand
Wat Arun Ratchawararam Ratchawaramahawihan (Thai: วัดอรุณราชวราราม ราชวรมหาวิหาร) or Wat Arun "Temple of Dawn") is a Buddhist temple (wat) in the Bangkok Yai district of Bangkok, Thailand. It is situated on Thonburi on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River. The temple derives its name from the Hindu god Aruṇa, often personified as the radiations of the rising sun. Wat Arun is among the best known of Thailand's landmarks. Although the temple has existed since at least the 17th century, its distinctive prang (spire) was built in the early 19th century during the reigns of Rama II and Rama III.
A Buddhist temple had existed at the site of Wat Arun since the time of the Ayutthaya Kingdom. It was then known as Wat Makok, after the village of Bang Makok in which it was built (makok is the Thai name for the Spondias pinnata plant). According to the historian Prince Damrong Rajanubhab, the temple was shown in French maps during the reign of Narai (1656–88). The temple was renamed Wat Chaeng by Taksin (1767–82) when he established his new capital of Thonburi near the temple, following the fall of Ayutthaya. It is believed that Taksin vowed to restore the temple after passing it at dawn. The temple enshrined the Emerald Buddha image before it was transferred to Wat Phra Kaew on the river's eastern bank in 1785. The temple was on the grounds of the royal palace during Taksin's reign, before his successor, Rama I (1782–1809), moved the palace to the other side of the river. It was abandoned until the reign of Rama II (1809–24), who had the temple restored and had begun plans to raise the main pagoda to 70 m. The work on the pagoda commenced during the reign of Rama III (1824–51). The main prang was completed in 1851, after nine years of continued construction.
The temple underwent major restorations during the reign of Chulalongkorn (Rama V, 1868–1910) and in 1980, prior to the bicentenary celebration of Bangkok's foundation. The most extensive restoration work on the prang was undertaken from 2013 to 2017, during which a substantial number of broken tiles were replaced and lime plaster was used to re-finish many of the surfaces (replacing the cement used during earlier restorations). As the work neared its end in 2017, photographs of the results drew some criticism for the temple's new appearance, which seemed white-washed compared to its previous state. The Fine Arts Department defended the work, stating that it was carefully done to reflect the temple's original appearance.
Yaowarat Road, Samphanthawong, Bangkok, Thailand
Yao Warat Road
Yaowarat Road (Thai: ถนนเยาวราช, Chinese: 耀華力路) in Samphanthawong District is the main artery of Bangkok's Chinatown. Modern Chinatown now covers a large area around Yaowarat and Charoen Krung Road. It has been the main centre for trading by the Chinese community since they moved from their old site some 200 years ago to make way for the construction of Wat Phra Kaew, the Grand Palace. Nearby is the Phahurat or Little India. The area is bordered by the Chao Phraya River to the south. Yaowarat Road is well known for its variety of foodstuffs, and at night turns into a large "food street" that draws tourists and locals from all over the city.
Chinatown is in one of the oldest areas of Bangkok. It is the result of the resettlement of Chinese on the west bank of Chao Phraya River after King Rama I moved the capital of the kingdom from Thonburi to Rattanakosin. From there Chinese traders operated maritime junk trade between (Siam) and China throughout the Rattanakosin period. By the end of 1891, King Rama V had ordered the construction of many roads, including Yaowarat Road. Chinatown does not consist of only Yaowarat Road, but also includes others such as Charoen Krung Road, Mangkon Road, Songwat Road, Songsawat Road, Ratchawong Road, and Chakkrawat Road. Yaowarat's Sampheng Market is the center of the area. The path of the road is said to resemble a dragon's curvy body, making it an auspicious location for business. Since it was built to avoid the existing cluster of houses of the people according the king's policy. Yaowarat is a road with a length of about 1.5 km (0.93 mi), 20 m (65 ft) wide and takes 8 years to build (1892–1900). There are many shops selling gold, garments, textiles, stationery, souvenirs, second-hand parts and equipment, electric goods, computer parts, antiques, imported musical instruments and local delicacies. Based on 2002 data, there are 132 gold shops (including nearby), which is considered the area with the most gold shops in the world. Therefore, it was dubbed as "Golden Road" in tandem "Dragon Road".
Land prices around Yaowarat Road have always been among the most expensive in Bangkok and Thailand due to limited land which is mostly owned by prominent Thai-Chinese families.
This road was originally named "Yuppharat Road" and later changed to "Yaowarat Road", which means "young king", in honour to Prince Vajirunhis, the first crown prince of Thailand, who was the first son of King Rama V. Before it was a road it was just rice fields and canals. In 1894, an electric tram car service passed through Charoen Krung and Yaowarat Roads, this service only ceased in 1968. Prior World War II, regarded as the busiest area in Bangkok, it was the first road where the country's tallest buildings where situated, called seven-storeyed and nine-storeyed buildings on both sides of the road. There were many famous Chinese restaurants, Chaloem Buri Cinema the most modern one in that decade, many reliable gold shops as well as hundred of shops selling both fresh and preserved merchandised used for Chinese food cooking. At present, Yaowarat's significance is not fading. It is still one of the country's most busting commercial and delicious food district.
Wat Traimit Withayaram Worawihan (Golden Buddha), Charoen Krung Road, Talat Noi, Samphanthawong, Bangkok, Thailand
Wat Traimit (The Golden Buddha)
Wat Traimit at one end of Chinatown, in what was once an otherwise unremarkable temple of Wat Traimit, sits the world's largest solid gold Buddha image. Made of about 83% pure gold and weighing in at five and a half tons, the 15-foot tall seated image is worth millions of dollars at today's gold prices.
The Golden Buddha, officially titled Phra Phuttha Maha Suwanna Patimakon (Thai: พระพุทธมหาสุวรรณปฏิมากร; Sanskrit: Buddhamahāsuvarṇapaṭimākara), commonly known in Thai as Phra Sukhothai Traimit (Thai: พระสุโขทัยไตรมิตร), is a gold Maravijaya Attitude seated Buddharupa statue, with a weight of 5.5 tonnes (5,500 kilograms). It is located in the temple of Wat Traimit, Bangkok, Thailand. At one point in its history, the statue was covered with a layer of stucco and coloured glass to conceal its true value, and it remained in this condition for almost 200 years, ending up as what was then a pagoda of minor significance. During relocation of the statue in 1955, the plaster was chipped off and the gold revealed.
Wat Mangkon Kamalawat (Wat Leng Noei Yi), Charoen Krung Road, Pom Prap, Pom Prap Sattru Phai, Bangkok, Thailand
Wat Mangkorn Kamalawat
Wat Mangkon Kamalawat (Thai: วัดมังกรกมลาวาส), previously (and still commonly) known as Wat Leng Noei Yi (Thai: วัดเล่งเน่ยยี่]; simplified Chinese: 龙莲寺; traditional Chinese: 龍蓮寺; pinyin: Lónglián Sì), is the largest and most important Chinese Buddhist temple in Bangkok, Thailand. It hosts celebrations of a number of year-round events, including Chinese New Year, and the annual Chinese vegetarian festival.
It is located in the district of Pom Prap Sattru Phai in the city's Chinatown, in a courtyard off Charoen Krung Road, accessed by an alleyway. It is served by Wat Mangkon MRT station located in front of the temple.
Song Wat Road, Samphanthawong, Bangkok, Thailand
Song Wat Road
Song Wat Road (Thai: ถนนทรงวาด, RTGS: Thanon Song Wat) is a historic road in the area of Bangkok's Samphanthawong district. It has its origins by separating from Chak Phet road near Chakkrawat police station and foot of Phra Pok Klao bridge on the borderline of Chakkrawat sub-district, Samphanthwong district and Wang Burapha Phirom sub-district, Phra Nakhon district, then cuts across Ratchawong road in the area near Ratchawong pier, as far as ending at Khao Lam cycle, where it combines Khao Lam and Charoen Krung roads in Talat Noi sub-district in the area known as Sieng Kong (เซียงกง) or official name Soi Wanit 2 (ซอยวานิช 2). The distance is 1,196 m (about 0.6 mi) alongside Chao Phraya river almost all the length.
The name "Song Wat" translates to "drawing by the king". It was built by King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) in 1892 after the great fire in Sampheng area. The Siamese government wanted to expand the roads and public utilities to a wider area, such as Yaowarat, etc. For Song Wat, it was from the King Chulalongkorn who wrote the line with a pencil on the map by himself. The construction was divided into two phases. The first phase starting from Chak Phet road to ends at Trok Rong Krata (now's Yaowaphanit road) in 1892, the second phase began in 1907 from Trok Rong Krata to ends at Charoen Krung road like today.
Sampheng Market, ถนน จักรวรรดิ Chakkrawat, Samphanthawong, Bangkok, Thailand
Sampheng (Thai: สำเพ็ง) is a historic neighbourhood and market in Bangkok's Chinatown, in Samphanthawong District. It was settled during the establishment of Bangkok in 1782 by Teochew Chinese, and eventually grew into the surrounding areas. The original street of Sampheng, now officially known as Soi Wanit 1 (ซอยวานิช 1), is now a small alleyway lined with numerous shops, and is a famous market.
Sampheng, in fact, is the name of a khlong (canal) that used to current through this area in the past. It connects Khlong Maha Nak and Chao Phraya River (now being filled in since King Rama VII's reign to build many roads in the area well-known as Khlong Thom presently).
Sampheng is in historical account of King Rama I, saying that the King found a land on the eastern bank of Chao Phraya River occupied by Teochew Chinese community is the most suitable place to build the Royal Grand Palace. On King's request, the community moved to area near Khlong Sampheng, and the area was later also called Sampheng.
Wat Saket (The Golden Mount), Thanon Chakkraphatdi Phong, Ban Bat, Pom Prap Sattru Phai, Bangkok, Thailand
Wat Saket (Golden Mountain)
The temple dates back to the Ayutthaya era, when it was known as Wat Sakae (วัดสะแก). When Bangkok became the capital, King Rama I (1737–1809) renovated the temple and gave it its present name (which roughly translates as "wash hair"); it was believed that on his return from the war, the king stopped to take a bath and wash his hair here, before entering the inner city.
Phu Khao Thong (“Golden Mountain” ภูเขาทอง) is a steep artificial hill inside the Wat Saket compound. Rama I's grandson, King Rama III (1788–1851), decided to build a chedi of huge dimensions inside Wat Saket, but the chedi collapsed during construction because the soft soil of Bangkok could not support the weight. Over the next few decades, the abandoned mud-and-brick structure acquired the shape of a natural hill and was overgrown with weeds. The locals called it the phu khao (ภูเขา, 'mountain'), as if it was a natural feature. During that time, it also functioned as a lookout tower for soldiers concerned about the arrival of enemy armies.
คลองโอ่งอ่าง คลองโอ่งอ่าง Samphanthawong, Bangkok, Thailand
Khlong Ong Ang (Street Art)
Khlong Ong Ang. Formerly known as Saphan Lek, located in the Phra Nakhon district, Ong Ang is the newest walking street in the capital. It has been an entertainment hub in the past but now it is wooing locals for more than one reason. A visit to this street will provide the experiences in Bangkok. It is charming, historic, drenched in community vibes and street art hues. An incredible number of wall art at murals in one place. The street art scene in Thailand is evolving and growing big. In the last few years, Klong Ong Ang has evolved into an art lover’s paradise. Every artwork has a different story to tell, which is what makes this street unique. There are food stalls all along Khlong Ong Ang walking street. The Damrong Sathit Bridge end has mainly sausage on stick vendors but thing pick toward. Saphan Han bridge with some food booths and a raised seated area overlooking the canal. The lower section of the walking street has a lot more choices with BBQ, noodle & more. This area is busy with people eating from low tables canalside. The area on the phahurat side of the canal between Saphan Han & Bophit Phimukbridge has an Indian flavor with several busy Indian restaurants with canalside seating. You will also find a rare Bhutanese restaurant. Kayaks & stand up paddleboards are available to rent if you fancy a paddle on Khong Ong Ang. There are two pontoons offering rentals. The water in this section of Khong Ong Ang has been cleaned up though it still looks a bit murky. A 5-minute walk from Sam Yot MRT Station, Khlong Ong Ang stretches between the Damrong Sathit Bridge and Saphan Han Bridge. It is open 24 hours a day, but the street is known for its weekend buzz- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 4pm-10pm
Talat Noi, Samphanthawong, Bangkok, Thailand
Talat Noi (Street Art)
Talat Noi or Talad Noi (Thai: ตลาดน้อย) is a historic neighbourhood in Bangkok. It roughly occupies the area of the sub-district of the same name in Samphanthawong District. On the periphery of Bangkok's Chinatown, Talat Noi has been home to various ethnic Chinese communities since soon after the foundation of Bangkok. Several historic buildings are found in the area, including the Holy Rosary Church, the Talat Noi Branch of Siam Commercial Bank, and the So Heng Tai Mansion.
Talat Noi has a long history predating the founding of Bangkok. The first ethnic group to settle here were the Portuguese from Ayutthaya. They built a Portuguese church in 1786, today known as the Holy Rosary Church or, in Thai, Wat Kalawa. Later, other ethnic groups came to live in Talat Noi, not only Chinese but also Vietnamese and Khmer. The area was Bangkok's first port, and was where immigrants landed.
Today, Talat Noi is a cultural attraction. Locals retain their form of speech, food, and folk beliefs as in the past. Houses and lanes are lathered with graffiti that makes the place popular with teenagers, hipsters, and foreign tourists who want to experience a traditional Chinese quarter. It is convenient to other attractions in the adjacent historic Bang Rak neighbourhood on Charoen Krung Road: Captain Bush Lane and House No.1, the Old Customs House, Bangkok General Post Office, and Assumption Cathedral.
ICONSIAM, Charoen Nakhon 5 Alley, Khlong Ton Sai, Khlong San, Bangkok, Thailand
Iconsiam, stylized as ICONSIAM, and ICS is a mixed-use development on the banks of the Chao Phraya River in Bangkok, Thailand. It includes a large shopping mall, which opened to the public on 9 November 2018, as well as hotels and residences. The ฿54 billion (US$1.5 billion) project was jointly developed by Siam Piwat group, a Thai retail developer, MQDC Magnolia Quality Development, and Charoen Pokphand Group. The complex includes the tallest building in Thailand: the 70-floor Magnolia Waterfront Residences, and the country’s sixth tallest building: the 52-floor Mandarin Oriental Residences.
Asiatique The Riverfront, Charoen Krung Road, Wat Phraya Krai, Bang Kho Laem, Bangkok, Thailand
Chaopraya River Cruise
Chaophraya River Boat & Cruise There are boat stops at 8 piers along the Chao Phraya River, which connects to a bunch of the famous tourist attractions in Bangkok. Starting from the Chao Phraya Express Boat stop at Sathorn Pier where you can connect to the BTS sky train Saphan Taksin Station, the boat travels north stopping at several piers before making its way back to Sathorn Pier via the same route.
The Chao Phraya Tourist Boat provides tourists with the opportunity to see Bangkok City from a whole new perspective. With one-day tickets, tourists can easily travel from pier to pier without having to purchase boat tickets again that day. Moreover, you can also get to know and see a lot of landmark temples and places around the Chao Phraya River.
The Luxury Cruises on the Chaophraya River, the Amazing Experience where you will be dazzled in Thai Exquisite Architecture, absorbed with Thai Cultural and History from the past to present standing elegant just before the river. Let The Chaophraya Cruise be the one for your Memorable Cruise. The LUXURY 5 STAR Cruise on Chaophraya River.
ดำเนินสะดวก Ratchaburi, Thailand
Damnoen Saduak Floating Market (Thai: ตลาดน้ำดำเนินสะดวก, pronounced is a floating market in Damnoen Saduak district, Ratchaburi province, about 100 kilometres (62 mi) southwest of Bangkok, Thailand.It has become primarily a tourist attraction, attracting domestic and foreign tourists.It is often considered the most famous float market.Damnoen Saduak Floating Market consists of a maze of narrow khlongs (canals). Female traders, often wearing traditional mo hom apparel (blue farmers' shirts) with wide-brimmed straw hats (ngob) use sampans (small wooden boats) to sell their wares, often produce.These boats are often full of vegetables and colorful fruits that are photogenic, and these images are used for tourism promotion. The market is often the busiest in the morning from 07:00 to 09:00 and is active until noon. A roof was built for the market so that it could be operated every day and all day.
Mae Klong, Mueang Samut Songkhram District, Samut Songkhram, Thailand
Mae Klong railway Umbrella Market
At its heart, the market known to locals simply as Talat Mae Klong (Mae Klong market) is a regular fresh market close to Mae Klong railway station (albeit an interesting market in itself for the wide selection of produce, especially seafood from the coast in Mae Klong and neighbouring Mahachai, or Samut Sakhon, province).
But what makes it fascinating from a tourist’s perspective is that, every day, trains rumble right along the track that runs a path through the middle of the market – forcing vendors to collect in their wares, roll up their awnings (hence the market’s colloquial name, Talat Lom Hup, or umbrella/awning market) and stand back to allow the carriage to pass. Needless to say, it’s a fascinating and at times hair-raising sight! These shenanigans take place eight times a day, with the line’s one train making four return journeys along the single track between the terminal station in Mae Klong and Mahachai at the other end of the route.